Where I Like To Eat

Places I've eaten at and things I like to eat! I don't go out to eat all the time, but I do so regularly enough. I'd like to share the places and foods that I enjoy: for price, food, service and/ or presentation.

Friday 14 December 2012

Tha Australiafiles: Part 5- Baozi

Remember that I mentioned that it was nearly lunchtime in the previous post? This is where we went for lunch a little while after.


There was so much choice of buns and dumplings: chicken, beef, prawn and pork (the latter two I can't have, being Jewish and all- always awkward when you're half Chinese), but mum and I settled for vegetable buns and custard baozi. You order at the counter, and then you're given this strange gizmo here:

Apparently we have these here in the UK too, but I've never seen them.
You go sit down with your receipt and gizmo, and when they're ready for you to collect your food the gizmo goes bananas, red LEDs flashing and buzzing like an angered hornet. Pretty neat, huh? It saves you from hanging around like a lemon and blocking up the walkway.

Nice buns.

The buns came in two separate bamboo steamers, one on top of the other (and a lid on top, which I took of before photoing). On top were the veggie ones, and beneath the custard buns.

Three veggie, two custard
Lots of spring onion, egg, garlic and Chinese mushrooms
Chinese custard buns usually have a thicker custard than the West is used to
It was a bigger than average lunch for mum and I even sharing between us, but I think being on holiday makes everyone a little bit crazy when it comes to food. Was it worth it? Hell, yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment