Where I Like To Eat

Places I've eaten at and things I like to eat! I don't go out to eat all the time, but I do so regularly enough. I'd like to share the places and foods that I enjoy: for price, food, service and/ or presentation.

Tuesday 11 December 2012

The Australiafiles: Part 3- Bubble Tea and Cendol

This section is to do with two drinks commonly found in Asia. I'll start with bubble tea.

I've mentioned bubble tea before in a previous post, and that my favourite flavour is taro milk tea (taro's a type of yam that happens to be purple). To recap: bubble tea is traditionally a sweet milky tea with sweet and chewy tapioca balls which looks like bubbles in the drink, but has evolved into any sort of drink with tapioca 'bubbles' in, from fruit juice to milkshakes. You can even get different toppings in addition to tapioca like nata de coco (sweet fermented coconut gel- it's a lot tastier than it sounds) and fruit salad.

Bubble tea is finally enjoying a developing craze here in the UK (late, as usual with a lot of food crazes like sushi, the cupcake and the whoopie pie), but it's old hat in Asia, including in Australia. I found that the two most popular and common bubble tea stalls were Easyway Tea and Chatime (the latter of which has just started up in the UK, yay!)

The first place I tried was Easyway Tea, and of course I had to see what my favourite flavour was like over there.


I chose a taro frappé with the traditional tapioca bubbles
 It was an awesome bubble tea- my issue with a lot of places that do bubble tea in the UK is that they water down the flavour a lot, almost as if they're scared people won't like it (particularly with taro flavour). Thankfully they didn't skimp on the flavour for this one. I liked the texture of the frappé for a change too (an ice-blended drink, sort of like a Starbucks frappuccino).

A few days later I came across a Chatime when I was doing touristy things around Sydney harbour. Perfect timing for an icy drink- it was about 40 degrees out. This time, however, I chose something other than taro. (Gasp!)



Mango milk smoothie with tapioca and nata de coco
Chatime had a little less choice in drinks than Easyway Tea, but only by a little bit (the only thing they didn't offer were frappés, but they had the normal iced-style drinks, smoothies, fruit juices, coffees and milkshakes- and also a huge range of toppings). They were also pretty generous with their toppings and this drink actually served well as lunch by itself! I hope that the UK incarnations of Chatime are as good with choice of flavours and generous toppings.

Now. What is cendol?

This is cendol:


Okay, I'll admit it looks a bit weird. However, the ingredients make it a gorgeous drink-dessert hybrid. The basic makeup of cendol is coconut milk, palm sugar syrup, plenty of shaved ice, and, of course, the cendol itself.

Cendol are the pasta-like green noodles flavoured with pandan, a green and sweetly aromatic plant
I freaking love cendol, and find it hard to come by in the UK- especially since the place I always used to buy it closed down years ago. When I saw it being sold in the food court in Singapore Changi airport during the stopover on the way home, I had to buy it. It might be a strange-looking thing, brown from the palm sugar with green worm-like rice noodles, but of course it was the weirdness that appealed to me in the first place.

Other things are often added to cendol to turn it into a more substantial dessert: sure enough, the one in Sydney Changi came with red beans (one day I'll do an entry on red bean ice drink and ice kacang- other desserts involving beans) and sweet palm seeds. Yes, it seems unusual to a lot of Western tastebuds, but I promise you it works, and it's delicious. I warn you though, it's pretty filling!

No comments:

Post a Comment