Where I Like To Eat

Places I've eaten at and things I like to eat! I don't go out to eat all the time, but I do so regularly enough. I'd like to share the places and foods that I enjoy: for price, food, service and/ or presentation.

Monday 10 December 2012

The Australiafiles: Part 2- Aeroplane Food

I wanted to blog about other more interesting things, but I really don't want to leave aeroplane food until last- so let's just get this over with, shall we?

Before I start, I'll admit that I was impressed with the quality of the food mains on the outgoing flight. Homecoming, not so much.

Outgoing meal 1: Red wine lamb stew with mash and veggies


Cons: It literally looked like a dog's dinner.

Pros: It actually tasted really good, the mash was done just right, as were the veggies- and the lamb was tender and lean. Go figure.

Came with: Standard bread roll and butter (untouched- too much stodge), salad starter, a bit of cheese and crackers and Singapore Sling flavour ice cream (we were flying with Singapore Airlines since we stopped over at Singapore Changi airport)

Outgoing meal 2: Pan-fried fish wish pesto velouté, potatoes and Mediterranean veggies


Cons: The veggies were disgusting- mushy and weirdly sour.

Pros: The fish was awesome and not overcooked, the potatoes were actually cooked through and, to my surprise, the velouté was actually a velouté and not some random sauce that they decided to call a velouté to make it sound fancier.

Came with: Standard bread roll and butter (again, untouched), potato salad starter, a bit of cheese and crackers and a Cornetto (I freaking love Cornettos so I was pretty happy).

Breakfast happened at some point when I was too exhausted to properly note (we travelled for 24 hours and I didn't sleep for one of them), and involved an omelette, chicken sausage, some fruit somewhere, a pot of yogurt and a banana muffin. And the standard bread roll and butter (again untouched), with a bit of jam to make it more breakfast-y. I may have used the jam on the muffin.

Homecoming meal 1: Beef and stirfried noodles.

Stirfried my arse. Sorry, no more pictures, I was shattered for the whole journey back and sat like a zombie for most of it. But I remember no pros with this meal. None at all. The noodles tasted like instant, the beef was tough and slimy, and that's all I can remember. So I just stuck with the pasta starter and standard cheese and crackers (again giving the roll a wide berth). Dessert was another Cornetto, so at least I was a happy zombie by the end of it.

Homecoming meal 2: Fish curry with rice

Cons: It was spicy enough to make my nose run- make everyone's noses run. Not pleasant when you're stuck in a crowded tin can several thousands of feet up in the air. It also looked a bit like pet food (again).

Pros: It was worth it- the fish was tempura-ed and the curry sauce was good, and the rice was neither soggy nor chewy.

Came with: Standard bread roll and butter (ignored), salad starter, cheese and crackers and chocolate mousse cake.

Homygosh the chocolate mousse cake. I really did want to photo it but it wasn't really presented well- sort of crammed into its container- but it was the kind with three thin layers of light chocolate sponge, with chocolate mousse in between, and glazed with a glossy chocolate ganache.

Breakfast was obligatory noodles. I would have chosen the omelette option after my previous noodle let-down, but it ran out way before the trolley got to me. The noodles were again awful. But the fruit salad was nice, as was the return of the banana muffin and jam. The bread roll and butter were, again, lonely and abandoned. There was also cereal, but I think I drank the milk, forgot about the actual cereal part, and went back into zombie state.

That's pretty much it.

No comments:

Post a Comment